Monday 27 July 2009

The Ouseburn Otter Strikes Again!



The entire week that I have been away (York, since you ask), I have been dreaming of otters - hundreds of otters frolicking in the 'Burn while I captured all of their wonderful antics on camera, thousands of otters blowing fishy kisses at me, millions of otters clambering through Bob's vegetable patch in a decidedly unotter-like fashion. However, the night that I dreamed the Ouseburn Otter had turned into a human being and bit me was the night I finally knew that he/she/it (?!) was getting to me in a way that no fish eating, aquatic mammal should. It was definitely time to bring on the dum dum dum ... Stealth Trail Camera 500. Okay, so I added the 500 for effect but I still think it sounds like a pretty impressive piece of equipment. So my plan hasn't really changed since last week, all I need to do is pick up the Stealth Trail cameras from Rainton Meadows in Durham and film the fur off the Ouseburn Otter. I will be putting this into effect as of tomorrow morning. Today however, I had a rather nice surprise. Bob has been looking after the cameras for me while I have been away, diligently checking the footage every morning and saving anything that could be of interest. Unfortunately, sometime during the week the rain came down with a vengeance, prompting the Environment Agency to issue a flood warning and Bob to lean over a very prickly hedge in a very precarious position and fish the cameras out of the river. Yes, the cameras were saved from suffering the same fate as the Moultrie but the Ouseburn Otter was saved from being captured on film. Again. No worries, despondent after hearing this story, my day soon brightened when I found a real little gem of a clip from last night. I finally have the Ouseburn Otter on film!! No ripples or bow waves while he lurks beneath the water and no spider legs and moth wings to shelter the him from the limelight (Bob has handily placed a can of insect spray in his shed, the hub of the quest for the Ouseburn Otter, and labelled it "only to be used on spiders, moths etc that fancy being film stars"). Brilliant or what?! So yes, the elusive Ouseburn Otter has finally been captured on film, in full view (something which the Stealth Cam should hopefully elaborate on) and the comment most made by those that see him - "Ooooh, isn't that a small one?"

No comments:

Post a Comment