Thursday 17 September 2009

A Bum Deal

This is no longer funny. Yes, I will admit that I believe the Ouseburn Otter is some sort of super-species with a more wiley mind than most and yes, I will admit that I believe much of what the otter has been doing has been in a specific attempt to wind me up. But for an otter to know how a camera works and how much of itself will be caught in the frame? Surely not. Surely this entire fiasco of otter cleverness and deception has been at least partly driven by the Ouseburn Otter's natural behaviour? I'm not so sure anymore. The Ouseburn Otter has certainly shown me, in no uncertain terms, just what he thinks of the WildPlaces project. Not a lot as it happens.

I honestly can't believe this little guy. Would it have been so hard to turn around and smile for the camera. Just once. Instead I get a wonderful shot of an otter bum and the little present he decided to leave behind. Did you see it steam?! Thanks Mr O. To make matters worse, in a fit of cleverness, I set up a camera on the opposite river bank, giving me a fantastic wide angle view - sure to catch any action going on on the mound. Not so. There is some serious otter sorcery going on under this bridge. The camera got some lovely recordings of rats (way smaller than an otter) but just happened to allow a big fat otter wander by undetected. An unlikey partnership between otter and camera has evolved.

Time to step up the game. Keep an eye out for Wanted posters along the Ouseburn River and pubs calling for the Ouseburn Otter's blood (not literally - but oh how I've thought about it!). He must be captured (on film). He must be shot (on camera). Help me out. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment