Tuesday 27 July 2010

Raccoons in Durham. Whatever next?!

Well, Paul A has rudely scarpered off to America (a holiday - how dare he!) so there may yet be a dancing otter waiting to be discovered on my cameras along the Ouseburn. I'm just going to have to wait til he returns and checks the cameras out. Oh how I wish I had the time. The suspense is killing me!



Despite the atrocious weather, the good old WildPlaces wildlife has been out and about, providing some very cute footage for the cameras. Check out our youtube channel WildPlaces NE for some wonderful footage of badger cubs that was taken by my colleague Kenny. Adorable (the cubs, not Kenny - no offence Kenny). And have you all seen the latest addition to the mammal count in the North East? A racoon. Yep, the cameras have captured those rarest of British mammals (well, perhaps just a resident mammal rather than a true Brit) - the raccoon.

He is quite a charming little fella although some of the papers describe him as a Nazi raccoon. Im sure you can all guess the calibre of the papers that print headlines like that! And, yes, I know this opens a whole can of worms of non-natives in Britain etc etc but just lets not go there. I am not open for some serious debate. Im not sure that I can cope with something like that after months of dawn bat surveys (think getting up at 2am for work) and seriously sugared up kids in their last week of school. A party just isnt a party without a hyperactive gardening club!

No comments:

Post a Comment